The Volkswagen Fastback and Squareback Service Manual (Type 3): 1968-1973 contains comprehensive repair information for the Fastback (Type 3 Sedan) and the Squareback of Model Years 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, and 1973. (Cars of each Model Year are usually introduced in August of the preceding year.) Throughout this Manual, the Fastback is usually referred to as the Type 3 Sedan. It's heavily illustrated with high quality photographs and drawings, and covers routine maintenance and service work.
Service to Volkswagen owners is of top priority to the Volkswagen organization and has always included the continuing development and introduction of new and expanded services. This manual has been prepared with the Volkswagen owner in mind. The aim throughout has been simplicity, clarity and completeness, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures and accurate specifications.
Though the do-it-yourself Volkswagen owner will find this manual indispensable as source of detailed maintenance and repair information, the Volkswagen owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual will make it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.
- Fundamental automotive concepts, with simple explanations of basic troubleshooting, effective workshop practices and tools.
- Complete tune-up specifications for all models covered-including those with exhaust gas recirculation.
- Troubleshooting, repairing, and rebuilding the clutch.
- Testing and repairing the fuel injection system.
- Rebuilding disc and drum brakes.
- Troubleshooting, adjusting and repairing the automatic transmission.
- Rebuilding the front axle and steering gear box.
- Troubleshooting, replacing or repairing every component of the electrical system - with wiring diagrams for every model covered.
- Adjusting and repairing the sliding steel sunroof.
- Spark advance curves for all distributors.
- Complete engine repairing and rebuilding data.
- Plus the tolerances, wear limits, adjustments and tightening torque specifications that you've come to expect from Bentley manuals.
Electrical System, page 6-28.
Perform routine maintenance, such as changing a taillight.
Engine, page 3-23.
Cylinder head service and reconditioning, with valve, seat and guide specifications for all models.
Transmission and Rear Axles, page 1-13.
Suspension troubleshooting and repair, including procedures for disassembling and inspecting CV joints.
Electrical System, section 6.
Troubleshoot and repair electrical system problems with complete wiring diagrams.