This BMW 3 Series repair manual contains in-depth maintenance, service and repair information for BMW 3 Series models built on the E90, E91, E92 or E93 platforms from 2006 to 2011*. The aim throughout has been simplicity and clarity, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures and accurate specifications. Whether you're a professional or a do-it-yourself BMW owner, this manual helps you understand, care for and repair your BMW.
Click here to view a selection of excerpts from this manual, including:
117-35 - Camshaft Timing Chain
Camshaft adjustment (VANOS) units, removing and installing (N51, N52, N52KP, N54 engines)
The do-it-yourself BMW owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of detailed maintenance and repair information. Even if you have no intention of working on your vehicle, you will find that reading and owning this manual makes it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.
Normally aspirated models
(6-cylinder 3.0 engines)
- N52 engine: 325i, 325xi, 330i, 330xi (2006)
- N52KP engine 328i, 328xi (2007-2011)
- N51(SULEV) engine: 328i, 328xi (2007-2011)
Twin turbo-charged models
(6-cylinder 3.0 engines)
- N54 engine: 335i, 335xi (2009 - 2010), 335is (2011)
- N55 engine: 335i, 335xi (2011)
(remove, install, external service)
- Getrag GS6-17BG manual
- ZF GS6-37BZ manual
- ZF GS6-53DZ manual
- Getrag GS7D36SG double-clutch
- GM GA6L45R automatic
- ZF GA6HP19Z automatic
- Maintenance procedures from changing the ATF to replacing the cabin microfilter. This manual tells you what to do and how and when to do it.
- Step-by-step variable camshaft timing (VANOS) service.
- Cylinder head cover gasket and crankshaft seal replacement.
- Cooling system and radiator service.
- Fuel injection and ignition system diagrams and explanations.
- Information about advanced technical features such as Valvetronic, xDrive, twin turbo boost and DSC (dynamic stability control).
- Suspension repair procedures.
- Brakes, steering and ABS troubleshooting and repair.
- Heating and air-conditioning repair, including A/C component replacement.
- Body and hood repairs and adjustments.
- Electrical system service, with an easy-to-use illustrated component locator section.
- Comprehensive wiring schematics, including fuses and grounds.
- BMW OBD II diagnostic trouble codes, SAE-defined OBD II P-codes, as well as basic scan tool operation.
- BMW factory tolerances, wear limits, adjustments and tightening torques.
*This manual covers the 2012 BMW 3 Series Coupe (E92) and the 2012 BMW 3 Series Convertible (E93). The E92 and E93 models were extended through the 2012 model year.
Additional technical content
For additional technical content for E90, E91, E92 and E93 platform BMW 3 Series models, visit our online technical library by clicking below.
Online Technical Library
BMW 3 Series 2006 - 2012 (E90, E91, E92, E93)
Click here to watch short E90 technical videos from our studio
Learn how to reset condition based service (CBS) intervals using iDrive or stalk switch (cars without iDrive).
160 Fuel Tank and Fuel Pump
Servicing the high pressure fuel system on turbo models, including replacing HPI fuel pump.
Detailed brake pad and rotor service
ECL Electrical Component Locations
Extensive electrical component location information
Bentley technical editors removing Valvetronic motor on N51 engine.