What Personal Information About Customers Does BentleyPublishers.com Gather?
The information we learn from customers helps us personalize and continually improve your shopping experience at BentleyPublishers.com. Here are the types of information we gather.
- Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our Web site or give us in any other way. Scroll to the bottom of this page to see examples of what we collect. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing future shopping for you, improving our stores, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many Web sites, we use "cookies," and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses BentleyPublishers.com. Scroll to the bottom of this page to see examples of the information we receive. A number of companies offer utilities designed to help you visit Web sites anonymously. Although we will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience at BentleyPublishers.com if we cannot recognize you, we want you to be aware that these tools exist.
- E-mail Communications: To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation when you open e-mail from BentleyPublishers.com if your computer supports such capabilities. We also compare our customer list to lists received from other companies, in an effort to avoid sending unnecessary messages to our customers. If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your Customer Communication Profile.
- Information from Other Sources: For reasons such as improving personalization of our service (for example, providing better product recommendations or special offers that we think will interest you), we might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information. We also sometimes receive updated delivery and address information from our shippers or other sources so that we can correct our records and deliver your next purchase or communication more easily.
What About Cookies?
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide features such as storage of items in your Shopping Cart between visits.
- The "help" portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take full advantage of some of BentleyPublishers.com's and eBahnŽ Reader's most valuable features, and we recommend that you leave them turned on.
Does BentleyPublishers.com Share the Information It Receives?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. We share customer information only with the subsidiaries BentleyPublishers.com controls and as described below.
- Agents: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- Promotional Offers: Sometimes we send offers to selected groups of BentleyPublishers.com customers on behalf of other businesses. When we do this, we do not give that business your name and address. If you do not want to receive such offers, please adjust your Customer Communication Profile.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy stores or assets. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets. Also, in the unlikely event that BentleyPublishers.com or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of BentleyPublishers.com and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with law; enforce or apply other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of BentleyPublishers.com, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
- We reveal only the last five digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
What Information Can I Access?
BentleyPublishers.com gives you access to the following information about you for the limited purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information. This list will change as our Web site evolves.
What Choices Do I Have?
- As discussed above, you can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to make a purchase or to take advantage of BentleyPublishers.com features.
- You can add or update certain information on pages such as those listed in the "What Information Can I Access?" section above.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your Customer Communication Profile. (If you do not want to receive legal notices from us, such as this Privacy Notice, those notices will still govern your use of BentleyPublishers.com, and it is your responsibility to review them for changes.)
- The "help" portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
- The Federal Trade Commission provides useful information about online privacy on its own Web site.
BentleyPublishers.com does not sell products for purchase by children. We sell children's products for purchase by adults. If you are under 18, you may use BentleyPublishers.com only with involvement of a parent or guardian.
Conditions of Use, Notices, and Revisions
If you choose to visit BentleyPublishers.com, your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Notice, including limitations on damages, arbitration of disputes, and application of the law of the state of Massachusetts. If you have any concern about privacy at BentleyPublishers.com, please send us a thorough description, and we will try to resolve it. Our business changes constantly. This Notice will change also, and use of information that we gather now is subject to the Privacy Notice in effect at the time of use. We may e-mail periodic reminders of our notices and conditions, unless you have instructed us not to, but you should check our Web site frequently to see recent changes.
Information You Give Us
You provide most such information when you search, buy, participate in a questionnaire, or communicate with customer service. For example, you provide information when you search for a product; make an order; provide information in Your Account (and you might have more than one if you have used more than one e-mail address when shopping with us); communicate with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise; complete a questionnaire form; participate in Technical Discussion Forums. As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as your name, address, and phone number; credit card information; people to whom purchases have been shipped, including address and phone number; content of feedback, comments and e-mails to us.
Examples of the information we collect and analyze include the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; login; e-mail address; password; computer and connection information such as browser type and version, operating system, and platform; purchase history; the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through, and from our Web site, including date and time; cookie number; products you viewed or searched for; and phone number used to call our 800 number.