Porsche 911 Carrera
1984, 1985, 1986,
1987, 1988, 1989
660-2 EXTERIOR TRIM
|Outside Rear View Mirrors
The remote controlled outside mirrors are electrically heated. The mirror glass, mirror drive motor and mirror housing are available separately from an authorized Porsche dealer. Note that two variants of the outside power mirror was used in the Carrera series: The early variant was used on 1984 - 1986 cars and the later style (as shown) was used on 1987 - 1989 cars.
|Outside mirror glass, replacing (1987-1989 cars)
On 1987 - 1989 cars, the mirror glass is held in place by a locking ring. Turning the locking ring left or right locks and unlocks the glass.
– Press mirror glass in at bottom.
– Insert small screwdriver through hole in bottom of mirror housing and locate locking ring slots.
– Disconnect heating element electrical connectors from back of mirror glass.
– Install new glass into position by pressing firmly into housing and turning locking ring clockwise. Check that glass is locked in place.
|Outside mirror drive motor, removing and installing
– Remove mirror glass as described earlier.
– Remove three bolts (arrows) securing motor to housing.
– Pull motor out of housing and disconnect wiring harness plug.
– Installation is reverse of removal.
|Outside mirror housing, removing and installing
– Remove mirror glass and motor as described earlier.
– Use wiring connector removal tool to push wire terminals out of mirror motor harness connector.
– Remove allen mounting bolt (arrow) at base of mirror housing.
– Installation is reverse of removal. Wiring colors are shown in Table a.
Table a. Outside Mirror Drive Motor Wire Colors