CAMSHAFT TIMING CHAIN 117-17
10. On cars built up to 3/95: Slide control unit off front of cylinder head, hand turning the exhaust sprocket clockwise (as viewed from front) as the unit is removed.
11. On cars built 3/95 and later: Use a spanner tool to rotate exhaust sprocket until stop on intake sprocket is contacted. See Fig. 39. Then slide control unit off front of cylinder head.
VANOS control unit, installing
1. Lock camshafts and crankshaft in TDC position with BMW special tools as described above in removal procedure.
2. Remove primary timing chain tensioner from side of cylinder head. See Fig. 40.
3. Install BMW special tool no. 11 3 390 into primary timing chain tensioner sleeve. Thread tool in finger tight to remove chain slack.
4. Hand turn secondary sprockets clockwise (as viewed from front of engine) until sprockets contact stops.
5. Apply a small amount of liquid gasket sealer (3-Bond 1209® or equivalent) to VANOS housing alignment dowels on front of cylinder head. Install a new gasket.
6. Push VANOS piston gear cup into VANOS housing until it bottoms out in housing. Position VANOS control unit into place, but do not engage splines on gear cup.
7. On cars built up to 3/95:
|VANOS (VARIABLE VALVE TIMING)|